Dr Andrew Heyman - Stress and the Immune Brain Connection (2) - Symposium 2016
Dr. Heyman runs an integrative medical practice in Northern Virginia and has featured in the media as a celebrated speaker within the field. Additionally trained in Five-element Shiatsu and Traditional Chinese Medicine, Dr. Heyman is also an author and researcher in the field of integrative and nutrimental medicine.
In this 2 part series, the ‘Stress and the immune-brain connection’, Dr. Heyman looks at the stress response and the repercussions of dysfunction upon hormones, immune function and Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS).
Some topics that will be discussed over the 2 webinars include:
- Dysfunction of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis as the major cause of abnormal cortisol release patterns
- Hormonal disruptions as a result of stress dysfunction and the metabolic and clinical consequences thereof
- The ways in which the central nervous system and immune systems coordinate with the HPA axis to result in adaptive or maladaptive compensatory patterns of cortisol release
- Implications surrounding the raising of cortisol without correcting underlying causative factors
- Discussion around applicable clinical strategies to manage the stress response and its additional symptomatology
- The exploration of novel diagnostic techniques and treatment strategies to more effectively understand and manage patients who exhibit alterations in their stress response
Presented by, Dr Andrew Heyman